12.1.07

mark e smiths gebis

“Released in various formats, in one of its CD versions [the Fall single ‘Masquerade’ from the 1997 Levitate album] was combined with a new track, ’Calendar’, featuring the guitar work of Damon Gough, later known as Badly Drawn Boy. The story of how Smith and Gough first met is now legendary. According to Gough he was waiting for Andy Votel, the Twisted Nerve label boss, outside the Night & Day bar in Manchester when Smith staggered out, opened his car door thinking it was a taxi, got in and asked Gough to take him to Stockport. ‘So I did, for a laugh,’ recalled Gough. ‘When he got out, I realized he’d left his jacket in there. I offered to give it back, but he didn’t want it. And as for the teeth, I cleaned out my car the day after. When I was clawing out all the empty McDonald’s packets and crisp wrappers I found this set of teeth, which I kept in the glove compartment for a couple of years, but no, I was never tempted to hang them off the rear-view mirror.’ Smith’s version of events included the detail that it was ‘a Lakeland leather jacket worth about a hundred and ten quid’, and as for the teeth, ‘he could keep them, the fat little get.’”

Kilde: Ford, Simon (2003). Hip Priest. The Story of Mark E Smith and The Fall. Quartet Books, London.