5.11.06

How I Wrote 'Elastic Man'

HOW I WROTE 'ELASTIC MAN'
I'm eternally grateful/To my past influences/But they will not free me/I am not diseased/All the people ask me/How I wrote "Elastic Man"/Life should be full of strangeness/Like a rich painting/But it gets worse day by day/I'm a potential DJ/A creeping wreck/A mental wretch/Everybody asks me/How I wrote "Elastic Man"/His soul hurts though it's well filled up/The praise received is mentally sent back/Or taken apart/The Observer magazine just about sums him up/E.g. self-satisfied, smug/I'm living a fake/People say, "You are entitled to and great"/But I haven't wrote for 90 days/I'll get a good deal and I'll go away/Away from the empty brains that ask/How I wrote "Elastic Man"/His last work was "Space Mystery" in the Daily Mail/An article in Leather Thighs/The only thing real is waking and rubbing your eyes/So I'm resigned to bed/I keep bottles and comics stuffed by its head/Fuck it, let the beard grow/I'm too tired,I'll do it tomorrow/The fridge is sparse/But in the town/They'll stop me in the shoppes/Verily they'll track me down/Touch my shoulder and ignore my dumb mission/And sick red faced smile/And they will ask me/And they will ask me/How I wrote "Elastic Man".

Mark E. Smith